Create a Shortcut Code or Macro
Q: How do I create a shortcut code or macro?
A shortcut code/macro can be created for a variety of things in SOAPware. For example, you may wish to create a shortcut code for commonly used plans/patient instructions like diabetic instructions. In addition, you and your staff may want to create a shortcut code with their name and credentials. Shortcut codes allow you to quickly insert commonly typed information with a short and simple code/macro.
1. Open the SMARText Items Manager
Open the SMARText Items manager by clicking on the Docutainers menu and then select SMARText Items (or hit F10 on your keyboard).
2. Create a New Unstructured Text Item
Click the Create button (green + button).
- Select the Unstructured Text SMARText Type.
- Click the Create button.
3. Complete the Shortcut, Description, Keywords
Complete the following:
- Shortcut: Enter a short phrase that will act as your shortcut code (do not use actual words or medical abbreviations).
- Description: Enter a brief description of the pick list.
- Keywords: Enter multiple keywords related to the pick list. Keywords should be one word separated by a comma and a space. We recommend that you include keywords related to the pick list (ex: antibiotics, medications, etc.) as well as a unique keyword that related to you or your clinic (ie: your name, initials, clinic initials, etc.).
- Display Header (Optional): If you wish for a display header to be visible with the shortcut code, enter a short phrase that will act as your display header.
- Online when Item is Empty (Unchecked): For a shortcut code/macro, this box should remain unchecked.
4. Insert the Desired Text
Insert the desired text for the shortcut code/macro into the large white box located in the center of the SMARText Designer window (see screenshot above).
5. Save the Shortcut Code/Macro
Click the Save button.
6. Insert Shortcut Code/Macro into Documentation
This shortcut code/macro can now be used by inserting it directly into the documentation or it can be placed into a Template.
To insert the shortcut code/macro into your documentation:
- Type in the shortcut code, then press the spacebar.
- The text of the of macro will be inserted.