Edit a Charge
Q: How do I edit or correct a charge?
1. Open the Patient's Account
Click on the Billing menu, then select Patient Account. Search for the account using the patient's last name, then click Select to open the account.
2. Locate and Select the Charge to be Edited
Locate the charge that needs to be edited (charges can be edited from several different locations within SOAPware. This example shows a charge being edited from the Ledger tab).
After locating the charge, double click on the charge line item to open the Charge Details window.
3. Edit Date of Service
To edit the date of service from and to, click the drop-down menu and select the appropriate date.
4. Edit Procedure Code
To edit the procedure code, click the ellipsis button next to the Code dialog. Then select the correct procedure code using the search dialog. Click Select to save.
5. Edit the Diagnosis Codes or Modifiers
- To add an additional diagnosis code or modifier to the charge, click the Add Code button and select the appropriate code.
- To delete a diagnosis code or modifier from the charge, click the X button located in front of the code.
- To rearrange the diagnosis codes, click the up or down arrows located to the right of the code description.
Billing Addendum Created
If the charges were initially posted from the patient's chart using the Billing Statements chart section, a Billing Addendum will be created and attached to the SOAPnote with a description of the changes that were made to the charge.
Note: If any changes are made to the charge(s) while the claim is in the Pending Scrub section, and prior to uploading the claim to the payer, the claim must be placed into the On Hold section and rebuilt before the changes will be applied to the claim. Otherwise, it will be submitted the way it was at the time of posting and creating the claim.