Enter an Allergy
Q: How do I enter an allergy?
1. Open the Patient Chart
Open the patient's chart using the Chart Rack.
2. Open the Summary
Click the Summary tab to view the patient's Summary.
*Note: If the Summary tab is not visible in the chart, open it using the Chart Navigator.
3. Place Cursor
To begin entering information into the field, click on top of or next to the Allergies field header. When the bold green brackets appear (as shown above), the field is active and ok to begin entering data.
4. Enter SMARText Allergy or Medication
1. Type the name of the medication allergy. Leave the cursor directly behind the last letter that was typed.
2. Press the Shift + the F11 key on your keyboard.
3. Double-click on the desired medication allergy.
*Note: For meaningful use purposes, the allergy entered must be a SMARText Item Type of either "Allergy" or "Rx". A "Structured Text" item will not calculated towards meaningful use.
4. The SMARText medication allergy has been entered into the patient's Allergies field.
5. Complete Sub-Items
If the SMARText Item Type was "Allergy", the item will have several sub-items available that can be completed (see screenshot above). Click on each sub-item (ex: click on Severity) and choose the appropriate option from the SMARText Quick Access window.
If the SMARText Item Type was "Rx", the item will not include the allergy sub-items as seen in the above screenshot.