Create a Pick List
Q: How do I create a pick list?
A pick list can be created with any type of SMARText Items. For example, you may wish to create a pick list for your top 20 diagnosis. Or you may wish to create one for all of the items on your superbill, or your commonly prescribed medications. Follow the instructions below to create a pick list.
1. Open the SMARText Items Manager
3. Align the SMARText Items Manager and Designer Windows
Place the SMARText Items Manager and SMARText Designer windows side-by-side (as seen in the screenshot above).
4. Complete the Shortcut, Description, Keywords and Display Header
Complete the following:
- Shortcut: Enter a short phrase that will act as your shortcut code (do not use actual words or medical abbreviations).
- Description: Enter a brief description of the pick list.
- Keywords: Enter multiple keywords related to the pick list. Keywords should be one word separated by a comma and a space. We recommend that you include keywords related to the pick list (ex: antibiotics, medications, etc.) as well as a unique keyword that related to you or your clinic (ie: your name, initials, clinic initials, etc.).
- Display Header: Ensure that the Display Header box is checked, then enter a short phrase that will act as your display header or place holder for the pick list.
- Online when Item is Empty: Check this box if you wish for the display header to disappear once an item has been selected from your pick list.
5. Insert Pick List Items
- In the SMARText Items Manager window, search for a SMARText Item to be added to your pick list. In our example we will search for the medication Keflex.
- Click to highlight the SMARText Item that you wish to add to your pick list.
- Drag and drop the SMARText Item into the Item Settings box of the SMARText Designer window.
6. Select Item Separators
- Item Separators: Select the desired item separators. The most common setting for a pick list is "Separate Lines". Please see below for a description of each option.
- Click the Save button to create the new pick list.
- As Is: When multiple items are selected from the pick list, they will be inserted into the documentation "as is" with no separators (commas, lines, etc).
- Separate With ___: When multiple items are selected from the pick list, they will be inserted into the documentation with a separator defined by the user (enter the preferred separator; e.g. comma, | , space, etc.)
- Separate Lines: When multiple items are selected from the pick list, they will be inserted into the documentation on separate lines. This method is recommended for pick Diagnosis, Medication and CPT code pick lists.
- English List (and): When multiple items are selected, they will be inserted in the following format: item1, item2 and item3.
- English List (or): When multiple items are selected, they will be inserted in the following format: item1, item2 or item3.
7. Insert Pick List into Documentation
This pick list can now be used by inserting it with the shortcut code or it can be placed into a Template.
To insert the pick list into your documentation:
- Type in the pick list shortcut code, then press the spacebar to insert the list.
- Click on the pick list Display Header (ie: Antibiotics, as seen in the screenshot above).
- Place a check in the box next to the desired SMARText Item to select and insert it.