Manually Add a New Charge
Q: How do I manually add a new charge to a patient account?
Adding Charges to the Patient Account
Charges can be added to the patient account in two ways:
- Automatically posted from the Billing Statements tab in the patient's chart.
- Manually added from the New Charges tab in the patient account.
This lesson will detail how to manually add charges from within the patient account. For instructions on automatically posting charges from the patient account, please see: Electronically Post a Superbill.
1. Open the Patient's Account
4. Complete the More Info Section
Click the More Info button.
5. Verify Owner and Facility
- Owner will default to the Active Provider. If rendering provider is not the Active Provider, use the drop-down menu to select the rendering provider for the visit.
- Facility will default to the Active Facility selected in the Scheduler at the time the visit is created. If visits are created for facilities outside the main facility (physical address indicated in
Manage Groups), those facilities will still have to be selected in Providers tab->Service Facility.Using the Facility drop-down menu, select the facility for the visit.
3. Click on tab to add situational details related to visit, if required.
4. Click Save.
6. Add Charges
7. Add Diagnosis Codes to Charge
8. Add Modifiers to Charge
10. Enter Miscellaneous Details of Charge & Save
Enter any additional charge information as applicable, then click the Save button.
*Note: Repeat steps 6-10 to add additional charges.
For information on entering the claim details, please see: More Visit Information Claim Level.
To edit this information on a charge level, please see: More Visit Information Charge Level.
11. Select Insurance & Follow Up Action
- If the patient has insurance entered into their Insurance Demographics section, the insurance section will be pre-populated with the patient's primary and secondary insurance policies.
- In the Follow Up Action section, select the appropriate action for this claim.
- Check the Incomplete box if you wish to save the changes, but come back at a later time to post the charges.
12. Print Receipt & Post Charges
After posting the new charges, the patient ledger will open to display the new charges. In addition, the claim will be inserted into the Pending section of the Claims Manager.
Note: If any changes are made to the charge(s) while the claim is in the Pending Scrub section, and prior to uploading the claim to the payer, the claim must be placed into the On Hold section and rebuilt before the changes will be applied to the claim. Otherwise, it will be submitted the way it was at the time of posting and creating the claim.