Creating SMARText Prescriptions for Durable Medical Supplies
Durable Medical Supplies can now be created as SMARText Items and printed or faxed from the Rx Manager.
In this lesson we are going to create a prescription for Lancets.
Accessing the SMARText Items Manager
- Click on Docutainers on the Menu Bar
- Click on SMARText Items
Creating a New Item
- Click on the Green + to create a Medication Item.
*Note: this should only be done when creating DME Items. Prescription medications should be duplicated and then edited. See Creating SMARText Items in the SMARText Items Manager.
- Click the radio button next to Medication.
- Click Create.
- Enter Shortcut
- Enter Description.
- Enter Keywords
- Check Box next to Display Header and Enter "Diabetic Testing Supplies."
Entering the Strength
- Left-click on Strength to bring up the Item Comment box.
- Type in the Item Comment box "Lancets and Strips."
- Click Save.
Entering the Sig
- Left-click over Sig.
- Create a new Sig by clicking in the blank sig line in the SMART Quick Access and enter personal Sig.
- Click on the Empty SIG to save the newly created sig.
- Click on the sig created to Insert this into the SMARText item.
Fill out Remaining Items
Fill in Dispense number, Substitutions, and Refills.
Removing Sub Items
The SMARText item will have sub items associated with a medication.
To remove the sub items not needed:
- Right-click over the SMARText header.
- Choose "Manage Sub items."
- In the SMARText Quick Access, un-check the sub items not needed, leaving only the sub Items Strength, Sig, Quantity, Substitutions Refills,and Related Dx.
DO NOT CLICK SAVE AT THIS POINT
Users are to un-check items he/she does not wish to display on the prescription such as: Start Date and End Date, Comments.
Saving the Item
Complete the item and ensure that the item looks as it should be prescribed.
Click the Save button.
Inserting the Prescription into the Chart
In the Medication field of the SOAPnote, enter the shortcut, followed by the space bar.
If the patient, insurance or pharmacy require a Related diagnosis:
- Right-click on the Item Header.
- Select "Manage Sub Items."
- Check "Related Dxs" in the SMARText Quick Access.
*Note: In the Default Layout (Tools > Options > Structured Rx) if the user has Related Diagnosis checked, this will automatically display Related Diagnosis and the user will not need this step.
Printing or Faxing the Prescription
- Press the F8 key on the keyboard ( or right-click over the Medication field header and choose Rx Manager) to bring up the Rx Manager. The dose will say "Strength Comment Not Allowed". This warning will not affect printing or faxing the prescription.
- Click on the drop-down arrow next to the Submit Button.
- Choose Print or Fax.