Tools - Options
When SOAPware is installed, it includes certain defaults and settings that can be changed whenever needed. The Options dialog contains numerous, miscellaneous options to allow SOAPware to best match the user's preferred needs and work-flows.
To access the Options area:
- Click Tools
Below are brief descriptions of each item in the Tools-Options menu.
*Note: any menu options which are grayed out are options currently turned off or unavailable.
Accessing Tools - Options
Auto Close: If checked, this option closes the Chart Rack after a patient has been selected.
Minimum Characters to Search: These settings determine how many characters a user will have to type in for matching patients to show up. These settings are applied when searching by Name, Chart Number or Account Number.
When in a chart, the user can default particular documents to be created off of the active SOAP Note, by using one of the keyboard shortcuts listed. To select a report to be printed when the shortcut key is pressed, use the drop-down box next to the appropriate key. The user will be able to set these shortcuts for any document that is setup in Document Designer.
To save time when printing the most commonly used document designs in a practice, it is wise to set up some key-command for quick printing of the 4 most commonly printed documents. The following key-commands can be designated to directly print a document type (i.e. document design) without having to scroll through the print menus.
- CTRL + F1
- CTRL + F2
- CTRL + F3
- CTRL + F4
*IMPORTANT: Do not set up printing of a prescription as a Quick Print Key Command. Print prescriptions from Rx Manager. This is because printing prescriptions otherwise through the Print option does not store the prescription under the Rx History tab in Rx Manager. By always printing prescriptions from Rx Manager, all of the printed prescriptions are together in one place.
Logging: SOAPware gathers various product analytics to help us improve the quality of our software. The analytics gathered include item such as: population counts, performance analytics, usage statistics and meaningful use statistics. If the user wishes to disable analytics gathering for their clinic, the check boxes may be unchecked.
The analytics information gathered is completely anonymous and is not related back to the specific user or clinic.
OCR stands for Optical Character Recognition. This feature will convert a scanned image into an editable document. The following settings will affect the manner in which it "reads" the user's scanned image.
Accuracy: The user's options are Accurate, Balanced and Fast. If the user selects Accurate, it will take a longer amount of time to convert a document, but it will be most accurate in its conversion. Balanced will give a decent amount of accuracy and still convert in reasonable amount of time. Fast will lower the accuracy and will do the conversion quickly.
Resolution: This controls the dots per inch. The higher the resolution is set, the larger a user's database will get.
Color Type: A user will be able to select Black and White, Gray or Color. Black and White will be the most accurate and fastest option. If the user wants to convert color documents, the user certainly can. Both Gray and Color will affect the Bit Depth of the conversion as well.
Bit Depth: Affects the granularity of the conversion. If the user has a Gray or Color type set, the higher the bit depth the user selects, the clearer the picture will be.
PDR is the Physician's Desk Reference feature available with ePrescribing in SOAPware. If coupons or promotional offers are available for certain prescriptions, they will print out when those prescriptions are prescribed. To select your default printer for these PDR coupons, use the drop down menu located here.
These settings determine the quality of the user's scanned images. Remember that the higher resolution that is set, the clearer the picture, but the slower the scanning time will be.
- Resolution: This controls the dots per inch. The higher the resolution is set, the larger the user's database will get.
- Color Type: The user will be able to select Black and White, Gray or Color. Black and White will be the most accurate and fastest option. If the user wants to convert color documents, the user certainly can. Both Gray and Color will affect the Bit Depth of the conversion as well.
- Bit Depth: Affects the granularity of the conversion. If the user has a Gray or Color type set, the higher the bit depth selected, the clearer the picture will be.
This area will allow the user to set some specific preferences in regards to how the user will use SMARText, in addition to setting the size and look of the user's SMARText font.
- Limit available SMARText items to Green (trusted) and site created/edited only: Allows the user to view only the green triangle SMARText items in the SMARText Items Manager, which have been created by SOAPware, or has been created/edited by those on site.
- Choose Font: Allows the user to select the default font for SMARText. After clicking the button, the user will be presented with a standard font selection dialog where the user can change the font, style and size of the default SMARText font used in SOAPware.
*Note: The changes will not take effect until after the user closes and reopens SOAPware and the font changes are not retroactive for previously created document items, it will only change items that are created after the font change.
- Expand Items with Space Bar: Allows the user to set whether a SMARText Item expands to full length when the user presses the space bar. To enable this feature, check the box. To disable this feature, uncheck the box.
- Close SMARText Items Dialog when Inserting: Allows the user to set whether the SMARText Dialog closes after the user has placed a SMARText Item into a document. To enable this feature, check the box. To disable this feature, uncheck the box.
- Allow Editing Outside of Fields: Allows the user to set whether text entry is allowed outside the green SMARText brackets in an Encounter Field. To enable text entry outside of these brackets, check the box. To disable text entry outside these brackets, uncheck the box.
- Display Unused SMARText Items: Display Unused SMARText Items when multiple code expander's found - allows the user to set to show SMARText item sections that are not used. When this setting is off, sections that the user never use will be hidden from view.
SMARText Color Coding
This section determines what items are auto inserted when a structured diagnosis is entered into the chart. Check only the options that a Provider, would likely use and fill out when entering diagnosis codes for visits.
- Description: Technical description for the ICD code
- Lay Term: An easy-to-understand, non-technical description
- ICD#: Numeric diagnosis code
- Responsible MD: The provider responsible for the diagnosis
- Onset: Provides further detail as to when the particular diagnosis began
- Orders: Links any associated orders needed for the particular diagnosis code used
- Plan: Allows a plan to be indicated for the particular diagnosis code
- Problem Number: Related to E&M Coder calculation
- Course: Related to E&M Coder calculation
- Initial Date: Related to E&M coder calculation
- Status: Allows a diagnosis status to be set as one of the following: Active, Inactive, Resolved, Undetermined, Chronic.
- Comments: Allows any further details concerning the diagnosis to be entered.
- Date Changed: Allows for this sub-item to be displayed when a structured Dx is entered a patients chart
Structured Order Entry
When orders are displayed in the Order Manager, the sub-items that are checked (see screen shot above) will be displayed in the lower pane of the Order Manager when the order is clicked. Sub-items can be defined for all of the following types of orders:
- Procedure Orders
- Referral Orders
- Lab/Pathology Orders
- Radiology Orders
- Injection Orders
- Immunization Orders
List and Explanations of Order Entry Sub-Items
- Assigned To: Allows for the selection of the SOAPware user to whom the order is assigned. Note that the value selected at this step will be indicated in the Task item associated with the order.
- Priority/Urgency: Allows for the setting of the priority of the order (e.g. High, Low, Urgent, Normal, etc.). The value selected at this step will be indicated in the Task item associated with the order.
- Action/Status: Allows for the definition of a particular default status or action for the order (e.g. Signature Needed, Review, Waiting on call-back, etc.). This will be displayed-associated with its Task Item.
- Destination/Facility: Specifies the facility where the order will be performed. The options provided here are pulled from the Destinations entered from the Docutainers menu, under Order Entry.
- Defining the Destinations should be a part of initial implementation set-ups.
- Location: Defines where the patient is located (e.g. exam room, lab, etc.) Define destinations via the Tools > List Options. Alternatively, it define where an order is to be performed.
- Ordering MD: This is an Order Manager item - By default, the Owner of an order is the Active Provider.
- Instructions: Provides specific directions or further details pertaining to the order.
- Condition: Or interpretation (Normal, Abnormal, etc.) Type the condition here (in Order Manager) and an icon is placed in this column in its Task Item. Clicking on the icon will bring up the order in Order Manager.
- Co-signer: Specifies who will need to co-sign on the order to approve it.
- Consultant: References consulting clinicians who are associated with the order in some fashion. This links to the Contact Manager.
- Contacts: References any person, other than consultants, who are associated with the order in some fashion. This links to the Contact Manager.
- Authorization: This indicates that a particular payer requires prior authorization for the order and procedure(s).
- Payer: Will be implemented in a later version.
- Rule: Will be implemented in a later version.
- Cost: Will be implemented in a later version.
- Charges: Will be implemented in a later version.
- Comments: Allows additional information or details to be entered.
- Note that there are some Order Entry sub-items that are not typically included as sub-items in the Order Entry items themselves. These items are accessed in the Order Manager, except for the CPT code.
- Related Dxs - Allows the order to be associated with a diagnosis in the Assessment field.
- CPT Code - This is defined in the Codes/Notes area of the Order Entry item.
- Date - Defines when the order was placed-executed or entered into chart.
- Performed Date - Defines when order was actually performed.
- Co-sign Date - Defines when the order was co-signed by another clinician.
- Due - Defines when an order is considered as due, or when it should have been completed.
- Reminder Date - The Reminder Date is just that. It is an alert sent to the physician responsible for the order.
- Overdue Date - The Overdue Date will eventually be able to trigger a message to be sent to an administrator or medical director. This
- function is not currently available, but will be added in a future release.
- Responsible MD - This is the clinician who is ultimately responsible and who oversees the order.
Structured Rx - Default Layout
Default Layout: This section of options allows the user to select what fields are included when entering a Structured Medication.
The default choices affect the Structured Medication as it appears in the SOAPnote.
Select the boxes of the items that would be filled out when prescribing a medication.
Structured Rx - Summary Layout
Structured Rx - Printing-Faxing
Printing-Faxing settings determine what document design is printed when a user prints or faxes a prescription. To set up these reports, see: Document Designer
Structured Rx - Rx Transmission
Structured Rx - Headers
Item Headers: Allows the user to choose which headers are visible and which headers are only visible when they are empty.
Single Line: This setting displays medications on a single line but medications may wrap to the screen due to space limitations.
4 - Lines: This setting splits up medications into three lines and makes them easier to read.
Separate with blank Lines: This setting separates medications with blank lines.
Substitutions Wording: This box allows the user to enter custom text that will be used when the user chooses to allow or deny substitutions in a prescription. To change the text, replace the default wording by typing it into the box.
Summary to SOAP
Allows for pulling over information under any field header in the Summary section to any area in the SOAP Note.
- Auto Summary to SOAP: Checking this box will automatically pull the user's Summary findings into every new SOAPnote created. It moves the Summary Physical section to the Encounter/SOAPnote Objective section, the Summary Active Problems section to the SOAPnote Assessment section, and the Summary Medications section to the SOAPnote Medications Section.
- Create Report Tasks: If this box is checked, anytime a SOAPnote is created, the user will able to report an associated task.
- On Patient Close Show: Any time a patient's chart is closed, the user can select what the user would like to happen at that time. The user can opt to have the Pulled Charts window, Chart Rack window or the Tasks window to pop up upon the close. The user can also choose for the system to do nothing upon a chart close.
- Expand Docked Display on mouse over: Docked displays can be set to either auto expand when the user's mouse hovers over the tab, or it can be set to require a Click before expanding. By default, the tabs are set to require a Click. That is, the user will have to Click on the tab before the panel will slide out.
- Auto Rx Formulary and Eligibility Retrieval: Checking this box will turn on automatic checking of patient formulary and eligibility information when a user opens the patient's Rx Manager. *Note: This setting is a global setting and will affect all users when logged in to SOAPware. Therefore, if this setting is turned on, Rx formulary will be automatically checked on a patient when any user opens the patients Rx Manager.