In SOAPware, handouts are selectable by keywords and can still be organized by categories, but now they can also be found easily through a search window. Because of this, it is no longer necessary to search through categories to find a handout. Handouts are also much more than mere text documents. It is possible to create handouts as collections of related document items, rather than just single documents.
Paper-based patient education handouts can be used in SOAPware and printed from the patient's chart. A user can select and print handouts manually, or have SOAPware automatically print them, and insert a notice of printing into the current encounter note.
*REQUIRED FOR MEANINGFUL USE: CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE MEANINGFUL USE ROADMAP
Open the Handouts Manager
To open the Handouts Manager, Click Docutainers on the menu bar, and select the Handouts menu item.
The Handouts Manager has 3 main areas.
1. The left side of the Handouts Manager has a search field/box used for searching by keywords. This area also contains the mini-toolbar buttons (e.g. New Handout, Remove Handout, Print Handout, Download, and Upload).
2. Below the search field/box is the list of available handouts, which can be sorted by clicking the head of the column. These columns are Name, which displays the name of the handout, and Keywords. In order to see handouts available for download, Click the "Include Online Library Items" check box.
The top right area of the Handouts Manager contains the document demographics for handouts. These include Name, Description, Author, Email, and Keywords. If the user cannot see this section, it is hidden from view, Click the vertical splitter bar to expand it.
3. Finally, the lower right area of the Handouts Manager contains a preview window that displays the content of the handout currently selected in the handout list. Not only can the Handouts Manager itself be resized, but the individual sections within the Handouts Manager can be resized using the splitter bars between the sections.
To select a handout, Click in the Search field/box, and type a keyword associated with the handout desired. For example, in order to select a handout on Bronchodilators, type bronch. Once the keyword is entered into the search field, either Press the Enter key, or Click the Search button.
Select a Handout
If there are handouts associated with the keyword, they will appear in the handouts list.
1. Click the handout name in the item list.
2. A preview of the handout will appear in the right side of the Handouts Manager.
Once a handout is selected, it can be inserted into the currently active document. To do this, Click the Insert button located under the handouts list.