Demographics can be entered and edited within the Demographics chart section.
Entering General Demographic Information
A user will notice four tabs under the Demographics chart section:
- Health Information Exchange
The General demographics section of the chart contains all of the basic identifying information about a patient. The patients’ name, provider, and contact information can all be found in this section. Yellow warning icons indicate that a field is required in order to successfully retrieve formulary eligibility for the patient and/or report meaningful use data. When valid data is entered, the icon will disappear.
Race, Ethnicity and Language
Race, Ethnicity and Language are required to meet Meaningful Use.
The choices in these lists are determined by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). They have prepared a code set for use in coding race and ethnicity data. This code is based on current federal standards for classifying data on race and ethnicity, specifically the minimum race and ethnicity categories defined by the OMB (for Meaningful Use reporting) and a more detailed set of race and ethnicity categories maintained by the U.S. Bureau of the Census.
Race and Ethnicity
To enter Race and Ethnicity:
- Click on the Downward facing Arrow.
- Select desired choice.
For Race, multiple values can be selected by placing a check mark next to each of the desired choices. Ethnicity will allow only a single item to be selected.
*Note: Race and Ethnicity values have been updated in the latest release:
- The Race list has been edited in the most recent version of SOAPware. If a user had previously selected a value of "Other", "Unknown", or "All Other Races" the value will now be set to blank upon installation of the most recent version of SOAPware. The user will be required to select one of the available vales to record the patients race.
- The Ethnicity list has also been edited in the most recent version of SOAPware. If a user had previously selected a value of "Unknown", the value will be set back to a blank value upon installation of the most recent version of SOAPware. The user will then need to select one of the available values to record the patients ethnicity.
Language Quick List
This list is compiled of user-defined items that are chosen from the full list. Once this list is setup, it is the same for all users.
- To select an item for the patient, click on the row indicator area and save the chart.
- Users can remove items from this list by clicking the [ - ] of the selected row. To select the row in order to remove, click the actual item description and it will highlight the row and expose the [ - ] button.
Language: Full List
To access the Full List Click on the Full List tab to see a list of all languages. From this list the user can build a smaller quick access list. Items can be added to the Quick Access by clicking the [+] symbol of the selected row.
Clearing Patient Language/Ethnicity/Race
There are two options to clear the selected item.
Selection may be deleted by either Clicking the [ X ] button on the drop down box or pressing the DELETE or BACKSPACE keys on the keyboard.
General Demographics: PCP, Referring Provider, and Care Team
These three drop down menus are used to select the patient's Primary Care Physician, Referring Physician, and Care Team members.
SOAPware can maintain a list of frequently used contacts along with basic demographic information for each of them. SOAPware's document designs can then use this information to create personalized documents such as referral letters. The contact list is also used to maintain frequently used names and addresses. In this fashion it functions much as a Rolodex. This contacts list is used in the patient's demographics area to choose their PCP/Referring Provider.
If a user would like to add a referring provider to the list on the fly (who is not listed in the drop down menu), Click the + button and Contact Manager will open. Simply add the provider to the list and it will appear in the Referring Provider drop down list.
This section of the patient's demogrpahics can be used to indicate up to three (3) preferred pharmacies for the patient. This allows the clinic to indicate the patient's preferred retail, mail order, or other pharmacy. The patient's settings will automatically populate in the Rx Manager when the user chooses to ePrescribe medications.
If users would like to add to the list of pharmacies on the fly:
- Click the + button and the Pharmacy Manager dialog window will open.
- Choose the Directory tab to search for the pharmacy if they accept ePrescribing.
- Or click the Add New Pharmacy (green +) button to manually add to the list.
The new pharmacy will appear in the Preferred Pharmacy list as a new selection.
This text box is used to enter the patient’s email address. At this time, there is not a way to email patients from SOAPware, but demographics acts as a central place to store all information about this patient.
This email address can easily be used to Invite Patients to Enroll in myHEALTHware.
To add and edit patient's insurance information:
- Click on the Insurance tab at the bottom of the demographics section.
- Click the Add a New Insurance (green +) button.
- This will bring up a window where a user will type in the insurance information.
- Click Save and a user will see the patient's insurance information listed at the top of the demographics window. Items with a red X must be completed before insurance policy is saved.
The Custom Demographics section of the chart contains the information not otherwise contained elsewhere in the demographics area, but which may be needed in most patients' charts. Custom field 13 is a note or memo text box; it is used to store more information than the other fields.
Setting Custom Demographics Titles
By editing custom demographics titles, a user can add additional demographic fields to SOAPware, with names that the user assigns to them. To modify the custom demographics headings:
- Click Tools > Custom Demographic Titles.
- A user will see a list of custom demographics text boxes. The current name of each field is shown in an edit box where the user can enter the new name.
- Fill in as many of these fields as the user wishes.
- Click Save, then close SOAPware and restart to see the new titles displayed.
*Note: This setting will change the titles of all custom demographic fields on all patients in the database.