Creating a Template
Templates may be created either from scratch, or by using an existing Template and then edited or modified.
This lesson will explain how to create a Template using an existing Template, how to delete a Template, and how to build a Template from scratch.
Create a Template from an Existing Template
Begin with an empty document in a test patient chart. To clear out the contents of a SOAPnote, Select Edit > Clear All SOAP Fields.
Inserting a Template
To insert an existing Template:
1. Open the Templates dialog. Click on the Templates docked tab at the bottom of the screen, Select Docutainers > Templates from the Menu Bar, or Press F6 on the keyboard.
2. Insert a keyword to find a desired Template.
3. Click Search.
Click to highlight the desired Template, and Click the "Insert" button .
Editing the Template
The selected Template will now be displayed in the desired chart section.
Edit the Template by entering or removing information as needed.
Saving the New Template
To save this as a new Template , be sure the cursor is active in the preferred chart section, and Open the Templates dialog. ( Use F6 or Click the Templates docked tab).
1. Click on the Green + to create the new Template.
2. Enter a Shortcut, Description and Keywords in the Template Information dialog.
3. Select OK.
Setting a Template Type
The Face to Face Encounter check box indicates whether the selected Template is used for a Face to Face encounter or a Non Face to Face encounter. When the selected Template is inserted by the user, the active SOAPnote will default to a Face to Face encounter if the box is checked. If the box is not checked, the active SOAPnote will default to a Non Face to Face encounter.
If an encounter is a Face to Face office visit it must be specified in the SOAPnote Type. The Meaningful Use dashboard will only calculate statistics for meainingful use office visits if the SOAPnote Type is set to Face to Face.
Delete a Template
To delete a Template:
1. Highlight the desired Template.
2. Click the delete button.
3. Confirm the action of removing the selected Template by Clicking the "Yes" button.
Create a Template from Scratch
To create a Template without using an existing Template, begin with an empty document in a test patient chart. Select Edit > Clear All SOAP Fields, from the Menu Bar.
Add the desired document items to be displayed in the Template. Templates may contain Free Text, SMARText, and Pick Lists.
To save the Template:
1. Open the Templates dialog. ( Use F6 or Click the Templates docked tab).
2. Click on the green + to create a new Template.
3. Enter a Shortcut, Description and Keywords in the Template Information dialog.
4. Click OK .