A shortcut code (or macro) can be very helpful when inserting strings of unstructured text that a user types on a regular basis. By creating a shortcut code, the user can quickly insert this text without having to type the entire string of text.
Create the Item
- Type in a Shortcut (this will be what the user wants to type in for the text to expand)
- Type in a Description (how the user will identify his/her code).
- Type in Keywords - single words separated by comma's and a space (these are used to search for the item)
- Click in the large white text box until the user sees green brackets.
- Type the text that the user wants to display within the green brackets.
- Click Save.
Inserting the Shortcut Code
Now, the user can type his/her shortcut code into a SOAP Note or Summary and hit the space bar, the code will expand to display the user's text. This is often quite useful for creating a signature to enter at the bottom of documentation; denoting who created the documentation and for paragraphs of patient teaching.