Pick Lists - Overview
Pick lists provide an extremely powerful and flexible way to quickly enter data. They are predefined lists of data items. The items can be inserted into documentation from the pick list. What may not be obvious, in the beginning, is the different types of pick lists. Some are presented in the SMARText Quick Access dialog, and others pop-up within documents while in the process of creating documentation. Once the different types of lists and their different functions are understood, their use becomes more intuitive. In the beginning, without a knowledge of the different lists and how they function, they may seem a bit inconsistent and illogical.
Two Classes of Pick Lists
- Pop-Up Pick Lists
- Quick Access Pick Lists
Five Types of Pick Lists
- F11 Pop-Up: Enter a keyword (or a few letters); CPT code; or ICD code, and press F11 to get a pop-up list of local items.
- Shift + F11 Pop-Up: Enter a keyword (or a few letters); CPT code; or ICD code, and press Shift + F11 to get a pop-up list of local and online items.
- Spacebar Pop-Up: Enter a shortcut code and press space bar; if more than one ST item has a Shortcut matching the group of letters, then a list of those items is presented. If only one ST item has an exact Shortcut match, it is automatically inserted.
- Location - Quick Access: Click in a field, and a list of items, ranked on past usage, presents in the Quick Access dialog.
- SMARText - Quick Access: Click on a ST item header and various types of pick lists are presented in the Quick Access dialog.