Functions of Task Manager
In paper-based offices, there are common activities that generally result in sticky notes being placed on patient charts that are scattered around in multiple locations. These activities includes things such as:
- Refill requests
- Patient phone calls
- Recalls or follow ups
- Internal messaging
It is very inefficient, and it is easy to misplace these types of reminders. It potentially reduces productivity and quality of care.
With the Task Manager, all of these tasks and more are managed from a single, central location. Each and all users go to the same location to address tasks (i.e. view, act-on, sign-off, etc.). This tends to keep tasks on track and improves productivity and quality of care.
The Task Manager has two key functions:
- Track the status of all tasks.
- Send messages or reminders to various users.
The Task lists section is not to be used for documentation purposes. Tasks are not a permanent part of the patient record. It should be used to keep track of tasks for the patient and to send messages or reminders to other users in the clinic.
Access the Task Manager
To access the Task Manager, click SOAPware in the menu bar, and click the Tasks menu item (or Press Control+ T).
The Task Manager Overview:
- Switch User Task lists
- Perform a number of actions with the toolbar
- Sort Tasks by type
- Sort Tasks by due date
- Create a Task layout
- View the Task list
Tasks can have notes associated with them. These are not notes that can be saved as a part of a patient's chart and will be deleted when the task is completed. To view the note, the user can hover the mouse over the note icon to view the message.
Task Item/Information Area
The Tasks information area at the bottom of the Task Manager displays one task item per line/row, and various task characteristics organized/displayed in columns. The tasks characteristics that are displayed can be customized.
- Patient ( patient the task is associated with)
- Description (type of task, i.e. phone call, lab, office visit etc)
- Notes (pertinent information related to specific task)
- Priority (rank of urgency)
- Action/Status (what needs to be/has been done on task)
- Due Date (will default to date created, can be edited)
- Assigned To (person responsible for next action on the task)
- Completed ( when task is completed, checking this box will remove it from the Task List)