Editing Text in SOAPware
In this lesson we will describe how to edit SMARText items within your documentation.
Even though SMARText appears similar to free-text, SMARText has hidden information associated with the words and phrases used in documentation. As a result, the documentation is able to be identified electronically and read by the computer thus making your documentation more searchable. Therefore, when editing SMARText items you should follow the rules described in this lesson.
Highlighting & Selecting SMARText Items
At times you may find it necessary to highlight a SMARText item so you can drag & drop it into another field. When highlighting and selecting a SMARText item it is important that your cursor be at the beginning or end of the SMARText item, rather than on or in the middle of the item.
NOTE: Many users find it easier to use the double-click method to highlight a SMARText item. We will discuss this method below.
Double-Click Method for Selecting SMARText Items
To select the SMARText item, double-click on the item header (ie: the name of the medication, name of the diagnosis, etc.).
This will highlight the all of the items associated with the SMARText header (ie: the strength and dose of a medication or the ICD9 code of a diagnosis, etc.).
*This is the recommended method to select a SMARText item.
Cut/Copy/Paste SMARText Items
SOAPware will only cut/copy/paste items that are fully contained in the highlighted selection. Before attempting to cut/copy/paste a SMARText item, select the entire item using the double-click method as described above.
* To cut a SMARText item, select Edit then Cut from your Menu bar or press Ctrl + X on your keyboard.
* To copy a SMARText item, select Edit then Copy from your Menu bar or press Ctrl + C on your keyboard.
* After cutting or copying an item you can then paste the item into a field. To paste a SMARText item, select Edit then Paste from your Menu bar or press Ctrl + V on your keyboard.
Deleting SMARText Items
SOAPware will only delete items that are fully contained in the highlighted selection. When a SMARText item is selected using the double-click method, simply press Backspace or Delete on your keyboard to delete the SMARText item.
If the SMARText item is not previously selected, to delete the item you can also click on the item header once and press the delete key. The first press of your delete key will select the entire SMARText item. Press the delete key a 2nd time to delete the entire SMARText item.
Move or Drag & Drop SMARText Items
SOAPware will only drag & drop items that are fully contained in the highlighted selection. You can only drag & drop items into a different field (ie: from Active Problems to Inactive Problems). You cannot drag & drop an item within the same field. To drag & drop, follow the steps below:
1. Highlight and select the item by using one of the methods that was previously described.
2. While holding your left click, begin dragging the item to another field. You will see a circle with a line through it indicating that you can not yet drop the item.
3. Place your cursor directly over the field header in which you wish to drop the item (ie: Inactive Problems, as shown above). Your cursor will have a gray rectangle indicating that you can drop the item into that field.
4. With your cursor still directly over the field header let go of your left click. The item will be placed into that field.