Manually Add a New Charge
Q: How do I manually add a new charge to a patient account?
Adding Charges to the Patient Account
Charges can be added to the patient account in two ways:
- Automatically posted from the Billing Statements tab in the patient's chart.
- Manually added from the New Charges tab in the patient account.
This lesson will detail how to manually add charges from within the patient account. For instructions on automatically posting charges from the patient account, please see: Electronically Post a Superbill.
1. Open the Patient's Account
Click on the Billing menu, then select Patient Account. Or click on the Billing menu, then select Enter Charges.
Search for the account using the patient's last name, then click Select to open the account.
2. Open the New Charges Tab
Click on the New Charges tab.
3. Add a New Visit
Click the New Visit (green +) button.
5. Verify Owner and Facility
- Owner will default to the Active Provider. If rendering provider is not the Active Provider, use the drop-down menu to select the rendering provider for the visit.
- Facility will default to the Active Facility selected in the Scheduler at the time the visit is created. If visits are created for facilities outside the main facility (physical address indicated in
Manage Groups), those facilities will still have to be selected in Providers tab->Service Facility.Using the Facility drop-down menu, select the facility for the visit.
3. Click on tab to add situational details related to visit, if required.
4. Click Save.
6. Add Charges
- To enter the charges for the visit, click the Add Charge button.
- In the Code dialog, begin typing the charge code to search for the desired code. Once the desired code is located, click on it to select it from the list.
- Click the Select button.
7. Add Diagnosis Codes to Charge
- In the Diagnosis Codes section, click the Add Code button.
- In the Code dialog, begin typing the diagnosis code. Once the appropriate code is located, click on it to select it from the list.
- Click the Select button to add the diagnosis code to the charge.
8. Add Modifiers to Charge
If modifiers are needed:
- Click the Modifiers section, click the Add Code button.
- In the Code dialog, begin typing the modifier code. Once the appropriate code is located, click on it to select it from the list.
- Click the Select button to add the modifier code to the charge.
9. Omit from Claim
Check the Omit from Claim box if the charge will not be submitted to insurance.
10. Enter Miscellaneous Details of Charge & Save
Enter any additional charge information as applicable, then click the Save button.
*Note: Repeat steps 6-10 to add additional charges.
For information on entering the claim details, please see: More Visit Information Claim Level.
To edit this information on a charge level, please see: More Visit Information Charge Level.
11. Select Insurance & Follow Up Action
- If the patient has insurance entered into their Insurance Demographics section, the insurance section will be pre-populated with the patient's primary and secondary insurance policies.
- In the Follow Up Action section, select the appropriate action for this claim.
- Check the Incomplete box if you wish to save the changes, but come back at a later time to post the charges.
12. Print Receipt & Post Charges
- Check/uncheck the Print Receipt After Post button as desired.
- Add any Claim Comments as desired.
- Click the Post button to apply the charges to the patient ledger and create a claim for the new charges.
After posting the new charges, the patient ledger will open to display the new charges. In addition, the claim will be inserted into the Pending section of the Claims Manager.
Note: If any changes are made to the charge(s) while the claim is in the Pending Scrub section, and prior to uploading the claim to the payer, the claim must be placed into the On Hold section and rebuilt before the changes will be applied to the claim. Otherwise, it will be submitted the way it was at the time of posting and creating the claim.