Insert Patient Handouts into a SOAPnote
Q: How do I insert patient handouts into a SOAPnote?
Complete the Assessment, Plan, and Medication fields within the SOAPnote.
Open the Meaningful Use Patient Dashboard by going to View and then select MU Patient Dashboard.
Within the Meaningful Use Patient Dashboard, click on Patient Education (or press Ctrl + H on the keyboard). Clicking Patient Eduction within the dashboard will trigger handouts to be inserted into the SOAPnote that are based on the documentation entered into the Assessment, Medications or Plan fields.
If unwanted handouts are entered, you can remove them by following the steps below:
- Click directly on top of the Handouts pick list.
- Uncheck the handout that you wish to remove from the documentation.
The Handouts Manager will allow the user to insert any additional handouts by performing the following steps:
- Open the Handout Manager (click on the Handouts button on the common toolbar).
- Enter a keyword into the Find box then click the Search button.
- Highlight the desired handout.
- Click the Insert button.
The selected handout(s) will be documented in the Plan field of the SOAPnote.
MedlinePlus is the National Institutes of Health's website that contains information about diseases, conditions, and wellness issues in an easy to understand language. Produced by the National Library of Medicine, MedlinePlus offers patient educational resources with up-to-date health information, for free.
SOAPware has added the ability to access the library of MedlinePlus educational resources directly from SOAPware. In addition, SOAPware users can indicate that a MedlinePlus educational resource/handout is being provided to the patient, which will calculate towards the Meaningful Use Patient Educational Resources objective.
The MedlinePlus educational resources/handouts library can be accessed by (1) right clicking on a SMARText Dx item or procedure item that contains a SNOMED CT code, (2) then choosing MedlinePlus Resource.
To document that you will be providing a handout from MedlinePlus:
- Clicking Yes (as shown in the screenshot above) indicates that the handout will be printed and given to the patient (via paper or electronically using myHEALTHware). This will increase the numerator for this Meaningful Use measure.
- Clicking No indicates that the handout will not be given to the patient. The Medline resource website will open, but this will not increase the numerator for this Meaningful Use measure.