NQF 0086 - (Additional) Primary Open Angle Glaucoma (POAG): Optic Nerve Evaluation
Measure: NQF 0086 (Additional Measurement)
Measure Title: Primary Open Angle Glaucoma (POAG): Optic Nerve Evaluation
Measure Description: Percentage of patients aged 18 years and older with a diagnosis of POAG who have been seen for at least 2 office visits, who have an optic nerve head evaluation during one or more office visits within 12 months.
*REQUIRED FOR MEANINGFUL USE (MU): Click here to view the Meaningful Use Criteria.
Quality Measure Documentation Workflow
In Order for the Clinical Quality Measure report to generate, the following must be documented in the relevant patient's chart:
1. The patient must be 18 years of age or older with at least 2 face to face SOAPnotes within the reporting period.
2. A diagnosis of POAG (recorded by using any of the ICD9 codes listed below) in the Summary Active Problems field.
(365.10, 365.11, 365.12, 365.15)
3. Documentation that the patient had an optic nerve head evaluation during one or more office visits within 12 months. To do this, use the shortcut code "GlaQM". This will insert the pick list header, "Glaucoma QM:", which will provide a list of criteria from which to document that an optic nerve head evaluation has been performed. Once of the following codes must display in the SOAPnote Plan field of at least 1 of the encounters: (G0117, G0118, 2027F Optic nerve head eval done).
*Note: Codes 2027F (Optic nerve head eval not done) will NOT increase the numerator.
Measurement Calculation Details
The numerator for this measurement is calculated based on the following:
1. The number of patients in the denominator that have the appropriate code documented in the SOAPnote Plan field: (G0117, G0118 or 2027F Optic nerve head eval done).
*Note: Codes 2027F-8P (Optic nerve head eval not done) will NOT increase the numerator.
The denominator for this measurement is calculated based on the following:
1. The number of patients that were age 18 years of age or older at the start of the reporting period and have had at least two face-to-face encounters with the provider during the reporting period;
2. And have a a diagnosis in the Summary Active Problems of POAG. This can be accomplished by documenting one of the following ICD9 codes: 365.10, 365.11, 365.12, 365.15.
Report Clinical Quality Measures to CMS/Status
All of the items listed in the above steps need to be documented as structured data (as detailed above) in order to allow the user to capture the numerator, denominator and percentage for this quality measure.
For information on how to export the numerator, denominator and percentage for each Clinical Quality Measure, click here.
For more information on reporting clinical quality measures, click here.