Responding to EPCS Refill Requests
This lesson will describe the steps necessary to respond to an EPCS refill request. *Note: Each provider must have an EPCS license and must have completed the registration and onboarding process prior to gaining the functionality to respond to EPCS refill requests.
Select Response and Refills then Submit
To respond to the refill request, follow the steps below:
- Using the drop-down menu, select the desired refill request response (ie: Approved, Denied - choose reason).
- If approved, using the drop-down menu, select the total # of dispensings that are approved. A selection of 0 indicates that no dispensings are approved, so the provider will need to select a minimum of 1 dispensing.
- Click the Send button to submit the response to the pharmacy.
Controlled Substance Prescription Signing Screen
- Place a check mark in the box next to the controlled medication that you wish to prescribe.
- Using the drop-down menu, select the hard or soft token device that you will be using to complete the two factor authentication protocol.
Enter Passphrase and OTP Token
To complete the two factor authentication that is required for submitting an EPCS medication:
- Enter your signing passphrase that was created during your registration and onboarding process.
- Enter the pin from your OTP token.
- Click the Sign and Send button.
Schedule II Medications
Refill requests for schedule II medications are limited to a single dispense per DEA regulations, therefore SOAPware will only allow a selection of 0 (denied) or 1 (single dispense) for schedule II medications. PRN is not allowed for EPCS.
Schedule III - V Medications
Refill requests for schedule III - V medications are limited to no more than 5 per DEA regulations. PRN is not allowed for EPCS.
Pharmacies that do not accept EPCS prescriptions can submit refill requests to the provider electronically, but the provider cannot respond to those refill requests electronically. They must use a Denied new Rx to follow workflow; for instructions, please see: Refill Requests: Denied - New Rx to Follow.