This lesson will describe the workflow that is required to ePrescribe a medication in SOAPware.
*Note: SMARText medications must be entered in the SOAP note Medications field to be ePrescribed. The patients General Demographics section must contain the full patient name, birth date, and address.
1. Create a New SOAP note
2. Enter the Medication to Prescribe
Next, the user will enter the medication to prescribe into the SOAP note. Enter the medication using one of the following SMARText Data Entry methods:
- SMARText Items Manager (F10).
- F11 Search.
- Shift + F11 Search.
- Shortcut Code.
- Quick Access Favorites List.
- Pick List.
For information on the above SMARText data entry methods, please see: SMARText Data Entry Methods.
For help on entering medications using SMARText, please see: SOAP note Medication Entry.
3. Open Rx Manager
After entering the Medication, open Rx Manager.
To open Rx Manager, the user can use any of the following methods:
- Hit F8 on the keyboard.
- Right click on the Medications field, then select Rx Manager.
- Click documents > Rx Manager.
4. Verify the Pharmacy, Medication and Submit
Rx Manager serves many functions which are listed below:
- Verify patient and prescriber information.
- Review allergies and eligibility data if available.
- Select the desired pharmacy by using the drop down menu.
- Verify the medication and formulary if available. Correct errors and make other changes as needed.
- Click the Submit button to send the prescription to the pharmacy.
5. Update the Patient's Summary
After submitting a medication, the Summary Merger window will appear.
To update the patient's Summary Medications list with the newly prescribed medications, check the Update box and click the Merge button. If the user does not wish to update the patient's Summary Medications list, the Ignore box for the medication can be checked.
Print a Prescription from Rx Manager
Fax a Prescription from Rx Manager
Add a Prescription in Rx Manager
To add a medication within Rx Manager, click to place cursor in the search field labeled Add Rx. Begin typing the name of a medication and a list of SMARText Rx options will expand based on what is typed. In the screenshot above, the options are limited to items that have already been used on the database.
To view all available SMARText Rx options check the box next to Include Cloud Library.
Simply click on the preferred option to add the medication to the Rx Pad. It will also be added to the Medications field of the active SOAP note.
Remove a Prescription in Rx Manager
Ohio Based ePrescribing Entities
Click on each of the following links for more information regarding Ohio Prescribing requirements: