Create a Custom CPT Code
This lesson will explain explain to the user, the steps on how to create custom CPT codes, should a CPT code not be found within the SOAPware Cloud Library.
SOAPware always advises searching for CPT codes on the SOAPware Cloud library. All nationally recognized CPT codes will be available on the online library to download for use in the clinic. If a user discovers a nationally recognized CPT code that is not on the cloud library, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org rather than completing the steps in this lesson.
However, in some states or individual practices, there are specific custom CPT codes for various items that are not nationally recognized. Typically these codes will begin with a W, X, Y or Z. These could also include retail items sold at a clinic, which would not be filed with insurance. Follow the steps below to create a custom CPT code.
SMARText Items Manager
All SMARText items are created within the SMARText Items Manager.
- Open the SMARText Items Manager by pressing F10 on the keyboard, or by selecting Docutainers > SMARText Items, from the menu bar.
- Click the Green + button to create a new item.
SMARText Type Selection
- Select Plan/Billing Item.
- Click Create.
SMARText Designer: Create a Custom CPT Code
- Complete the Demographics for the code including the Shortcut, Description, Keywords (be sure to include a unique keyword for searching purposes) and a Display Header.
- Open the Coding/Notes area of the SMARText Designer by clicking on the drop down arrow to the right of this area. (This may require re-sizing the boxes within the Designer to view the Coding/Notes section).
In the Coding/Notes Section:
- Click on the Green + to create a new coding item.
- Select CPT from the coding drop down list.
- Insert a value for the CPT code directly into the Value box.
- Click Save.
Insert the Custom CPT Code
Insert the shortcut of the custom CPT code into the Plan section of a SOAPnote, followed by the spacebar. This action inserts the newly created CPT code into the patient's chart.
*Note: This CPT code will be transferred to the billing statement when the statement is created for the visit.