Creating SMARText Compound Medications
Many compound medications are not available in SMARText because there are unique to the patient. Users can create SMARText compound medications to be used within the SOAPware Rx Manager. These SMARText items can then be printed or faxed from the Rx Manager; however they cannot be ePrescribed.
In this lesson we will learn how to create a SMARText prescription for a compound medication.
Accessing the SMARText Items Manager
- Click on the Docutainers menu in the Menu Bar.
- Select SMARText Items.
Press F10 on the keyboard to open the SMARText Items Manager
Creating a New Item
To create a new SMARText Item:
- Click the Green + button
- Select Medication from the SMARText Type Selection window
- Click Create
The SMARText Designer window will appear. Next, the user will enter a Shortcut code, Description, Keywords and Display Header for the new compound medication.
- Shortcut Code: The shortcut code should be a short code that can be used to insert the newly created medication. SOAPware recommends that users not use actual words or medication abbreviations as shortcut codes.
- Description: Enter a brief description of the compound medication.
- Keywords: The keywords for an item will allow the user to search for the item at a later date. Keywords should each be one word separated by a comma and a space. SOAPware recommends that users create a "unique keyword" that they place on all SMARText items that they create.
- Display Header: In this case, the display header should be the name of the compound medication.
Enter the Strength
- Left-click on the Strength item and begin typing the dosage.
- Type the appropriate dosage in the Strength Item Comment box.
- Click Save.
Entering the Instructions
The instructions (including the dose, frequency and route) will be entered in the medication Sig.
- Click on the Sig item and begin typing the instructions.
- Type the appropriate instructions including the dose, frequency and route into the Item Comment box.
- Click Save.
Complete the Remaining Items
Complete the remaining sub-items for the compound mediation. This includes the Quantity, Substitution, Refills and Pharmacy Notes as needed.
*Note: Sub-items that are not needed can be removed by right-clicking the sub-item, then selecting "Remove Item".
Save the New Compound Medication
To save the new compound medication, first, ensure that the medication appears exactly as it should be prescribed. Then click Save.
Inserting the Compound Medication
In the Medications field of the SOAP Note, enter the shortcut code for the new compound medication. Then hit the spacebar to expand the medication.
Sending the Prescription to the Pharmacy
Once the medication is entered into the patient's chart and is ready to be sent to the pharmacy:
- Press the F8 key on the keyboard to open the Rx Manager.
- Select the desired Pharmacy.
- Review the medication prior to submitting it. *Note: You will receive a error in the View Errors window that states the strength cannot be e-prescribed. You may Print or Fax the medication to the selected pharmacy.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to the Submit button.
- Choose "Print" or "Fax" for the medication.
The Rx Pad will now note that the medication has been submitted. If Printed, it will display "Printed. If faxed, it will display "Faxed".
In addition, the medication will be stored in the Rx Manager history and the Summary can be updated.