(DRAFT) NQF 0052 (Additonal) Low Back Pain: Use of Imaging Studies
THIS LESSON IS CURRENTLY A DRAFT AND IS NOT YET COMPLETE
Measure: NQF 0052 (Additional Measure)
Measure Title: Low Back Pain: Use of Imaging Studies
Measure Description: The percentage of patients with a primary diagnosis of low back pain and who did not have an imaging study (plain X‐ray, MRI, CT scan) within 28 days of diagnosis.
*REQUIRED FOR MEANINGFUL USE (MU) ADDITIONAL CQM MEASURE: Click here to view Meaningful Use Criteria.
In order for the Clinical Quality Measure report to generate, the following must be documented in the relevant patient's chart:
1. Patient's must have a primary diagnosis of Low Back Pain in the Active Problems field of the Summary or the Face to Face encounter Assessment field using one of the following ICD codes: 724.2, 724.5.
2. This measure calcualates patient's who did not have an imaging study (plain X‐ray, MRI, CT scan) within 28 days of diagnosis during the reporting period. To enter documentation, use the shortcut code “PQRIlowBacl”. This will insert the pick list header, “Low back pain imaging QM”. Left-Click on the pick list header to display a list of items in SMARText Quick Access that meet the criteria. See the screen shot that displays the appropriate selection. The Custom ID 0052b (Patient has not had imaging study of low back (x-ray, MRI, CT scan, etc.) within 28 days of diagnosis. # Relates Dxs- Modifiers-) must display in the encounter Plan field.
The numerator for this measurement is calculated based on the following:
1. The number of patients with a face to face encoutner within the reporting period:
2. AND the number of patients that have not had an imaging study of the low back within 28 days of the diagnosis using custom ID code 0052b in the Plan field of an encounter.
The denominator for this measurement is calculated based on the following:
1. The number of patients with a face to face encounter withing the reporting period;
2. AND have a diagnosis of Low Back Pain in the Active Problems field in the Summary or the Assessment field in the Face to Face encounter. This can be accomplished by documenting one of the following ICD codes: 724.2, 724.5
All of the items listed in the above steps need to be documented as structured data (as detailed above) in order to allow the user to capture the numerator, denominator and percentage for this quality measure.
For information on how to export the numerator, denominator and percentage for each Clinical Quality Measure, Click here.
For more information on reporting clinical quality measures, Click here.