Scanning Into SOAPware
There are several options that the user can set to customize Scanning settings for his/her needs. To access the Scanning Options area, click Tools > Options, and select Scanning from the list.
SOAPware scanning allows the user to initiate an image scan from within SOAPware, and to have the resulting image imported directly attached to a current Document and as a new Document Item.
Setting Scanning Options
The scanning options in SOAPware will allow the user to define some default settings to apply to the scanner when scanning images into the chart. To set the default scanning options, go to Tools > Options > Scanning.
Below is a list of recommended default settings which will provide a significantly smaller image file size and will allow for a more efficient chart sign off.
- Resolution: This controls the dots per inch. The higher the resolution is set, the larger a user's database will be. SOAPware recommends that this setting be set to 150 or lower.
- Color Type: The user will be able to select Black and White, Gray or Color. Black and White will be the most accurate and fastest option. If the user wants to convert color documents, the user certainly can. Both Gray and Color will affect the Bit Depth of the conversion as well. SOAPware recommends that this setting be set to BlackWhite.
- Bit Depth: Affects the granularity of the conversion. If the user has a Gray or Color type set, the higher the bit depth selected, the clearer the picture will be. SOAPware recommends that this setting be set to 8 or lower.
Not all scanners correctly recognize the SOAPware settings found in Tools > Options. Please be sure your actual scanner settings are also set to the desired or recommended options.
SOAPware strongly recommends the default settings for scanners be set at the following:
- No greater than 150 dpi resolution.
- Black and white color type. *Note: Xrays are the exception and can be set to gray scale.
- Images should be imported as .jpg files.
- Bit depth should be set to 8 or lower.
Scanning Into SOAPware as a New Document
If the user would like for a scanned document to have its own Document (and date & time stamp), the user can use the scan button below the splitter bar to scan as seen in the screenshot above.
Scanning Into SOAPware as an Attachment to an Existing Document
With an unsigned Document open in SOAPware, Click Documents > New Image from Scan or Click the scan button located in the Common Toolbar (see screenshot above). This will launch the scanning software for the default scanner. For scanner instructions, follow the manufacturer's instructions included that will should include image file options when available.
After the scan is completed, the new scanned image will appear attached to the current Document as a new Image Document Item. The ability to rename the scanned image tab is accomplished by Right-Clicking over the tab and Selecting Rename.
Scanned Document-Add Document Task
An Automatic Document Task Item will be created when scanning documents into SOAPware. By default, new Task Items are automatically created when a new Document is added to a patient chart.
For more information on how to manage an automatically generated Task Item., see: Auto Created Tasks.
Scanning Multi-Paged Documents
With many scanners, the user will have the option to scan in multi-page documents. To use this, the user can Click the scan button just like with a single page document. When the scan is completed, the user will have one tab per page.
It is recommended to Check the box for "Apply To All" in the Add Document Task window when scanning multi-page documents. The "Apply to All" check box will allow the user to apply all task item settings to every page of the scanned document. The provider will also need to sign off on each page of the scanned document.
The user can also scan in signatures which can be included on Document Designs. It is recommended that the user scan the signature to the desktop and use Provider Manager to import the signature.
To use this signature on document designs, use the data item found under Misc > Clinician > Signature. This will use the signature stored in Provider Manager or embed the signature/image from within Document Designs, see: Advanced Document Design/Using Images-Inserting Signature.