The Structure Editor is used to edit multiple SMARText items that are grouped within a single item. It is also used to group multiple SMARText items into a single item and then designate how they are displayed when inserted into documentation. The Structure Editor may also be used to view the structure or hierarchy among the grouped SMARText items.
Opening the Structured Editor
To open the Structured Editor, we will need to go into the SMARText Builder workspace.
Click on the SOAPware menu, then select SMARText Builder.
When the SMARText Builder is opened this will open to the List Creator by default.
To view the Structure Editor, Click on the Structure Editor tab.
Structure Editor Interface
The right side of the Structure Editor contains the SMARText Items Manager. The SMARText Items Manager allows users to search for existing SMARText items and create new SMARText items.
The left side of the Structure Editor can be used to edit and create more complex SMARText items.
- The top section that displays the text "Drag SMARText items to edit here" is used to add and re-order SMARText items.
- The middle section is very similar to the Display Field within the SMARText Designer. Very little editing is actually performed here, but it does display the edits and changes performed elsewhere.
- The bottom properties section will allow the user to define the desired item separators and Clear of Save the SMARText items.
Editing a SMARText Item in Strcutred Editor
In the SMARText Items Manager that displays on the right side of the Structure Editor, search for the SMARText Item that will be edited.
- Type a keyword for the SMARText Item into the Find box
- Click the Search button
Editing an Item
Next, the item should be dragged and dropped into the Structure Editor.
- Select the item that will be edited
- Drag and drop item into the Structure Editor's top display section
Displaying the SMARText Sub-Items
The SMARText item has now been placed in the Structure Editor.
Next, we will look at displaying any existing sub-items or adding new sub-items to selected SMARText Item. To do this, the user will need to pin open the SMARText Quick Access dialog.
To automatically display the SMARText Items sub-items when inserted into documentation, the following steps will need to be taken:
- Select the desired Item Separators (the most common setting will be "Separate Lines")
- Click on the SMARText Item's header (in our example above, we will Click on "HPI:")
- In the SMARText Quick Access window, place a check mark next to each sub-item that should be automatically displayed when the initial SMARText item is inserted into the documentation.
- As sub-items are checked in the SMARText Quick Access window, they will be displayed next to the initial item header (in our example above, we checked ONSET/TIMING and QUALITY/COURSE, these are now displayed next to our HPI header in both the top and middle sections of the SMARText Editor.)
Next time the "HPIx" SMARText item is inserted into the documentation, it will automatically display the sub-items "ONSET/TIMING" and "QUALITY/COURSE".
Adding New Sub-Items
Sub-Items can also be added to the list by using the Structure Editor. To add new sub-items to the list:
- In the SMARText Items Manager on the right side of the Structure Editor, search for the sub-item that will be added.
- Press the Control key on the keyboard and then select the item (the Ctrl key must be pressed before highlighting the item)
- While holding down the Control Key, drag and drop the item directly on top of the original SMARText Items' header within the top section of Structured Editor (see example in the screenshot above). In our example above, we will drag and drop the "wccdev" item directly on top of the HPI: (HPI Item) header.
Creating New SMARText Items to Add as Sub-Items:
New SMARText items must be created in the SMARText Items Manager. For information on how to create a new SMARText Item, please see: Creating SMARText Items. After new items are created in the SMARText Items Manager they may be added to the list by using the steps described above.
- The new sub-item has now be added to the original SMARText Item. In our example above, the DEVELOPMENT SMARText item has been added as a "child" or "sub-item" to the original HPI SMARText Item.
- The new sub-item will display in both the top action section and the middle display section.
- To save the changes click on the Save Button.
Inserting the Edited SMARText List
When the SMARText Item is inserted into the documentation using the (1) shortcut code (in our example "hpix"), it will now expand to automatically include the specified (2) sub-items (in our example, ONSET/TIMING, QUALITY/COURSE, AND DEVELOPMENT).