The List Creator was designed to allow users to create multiple SMARText items from an existing text list. It gives users the ability to copy and paste items from the existing text list (text or word processor document) and create SMARText for each item.
With the List Creator it is possible to insert a long list of items and it will create all of those items individually. These items may then be directly inserted into the patients chart or added to a Pick list, bundle or cluster. The List Creator can also automatically create a bundle containing all of your items.
The large white text box on the left will be used to create or copy and paste the list of items. We will also use this box to create shortcut codes for each item.
Entering List Items
To begin creating the new SMARText items:
- Enter the text items into the large white text box as shown in the screenshot above.
*Note: Enter 1 item per line by typing in the items or by copying and pasting an existing text list into the text box.
Adding a Shortcut for Each Item
Each text item that was entered in the previous step, will also need a shortcut code. We will enter the shortcut codes before each text item followed by a space (as seen in the screenshot above).
In this example the shortcut would be "ColYel". When this shortcut is placed in the chart, the text "Yellow" will display. "Yellow" will also display as the Description for this SMARText item.
After all text and shortcuts are entered, preferences must be set for these items.
- The "Include Description in Keywords" box will allow the user to search for the new SMARText item by using the items description (ex: Yellow).
- The "Create Items as Strucutured Text" box will designate the new items to be created as Structured Text items. If this box is not checked the items will be created as Unstructured Text SMARText items.
Entering Keywords & Create the Items
Next, enter keywords for the new SMARText Items. Keywords will allow the user to search for the SMARText item within the SMARText Items Manager (F10).
- Add the desired keywords into the "Additional Keywords" box. All keywords that are entered in this box will be added to each item in the list that is created. *Note: Keywords should be one word separated by a comma and a space (as seen in the screenshot above).
- Once the items are completed, Click the Create button. This will create each item in the list as separate SMARText items.
SOAPware has now created an Unstructured SMARText item for each item. These items can be found in the SMARText Items Manager.
Creating a Bundle
The List Creator can also be used to create a Bundle that will include all of the Unstructured SMARText items.
To create a Bundle out of the SMARText items:
- Check the "Add Items to Group" box. This will not only create the items individually as Unstructured text SMARText items, but it will also create one Bundle SMARText item that contains all of the Unstructured text items.
- Enter a Shortcut, Keywords and a Description for the SMARText Bundle.
- To save the item, Click the Create button.
When looking for these items in the SMARText Items Manager (F10) under the common Keyword of "Colors", we can see that all of the new items are created including the SMARText bundle that contains all of the unstructured items.
Viewing the Bundle
All of the Unstructured text SMARText items have been added to the Item Settings box in the newly created bundle. This bundle of SMARText Items can now be placed into a pick list.
Placing the Bundle in a Pick List
After the SMARText Bundle has been created, it can be placed into a pick list. To do this:
- In the SMARText Items Manager (F10), edit an existing pick list or create a new pick list. For instructions on how to create a pick list, please see: Creating SMARText Pick Lists.
- Search for the new Bundle in the SMARText Items Manager.
- Drag and drop the bundle into the Item Settings box of the pick list (see screenshot above).
- Click the Save button to save all changes.
Example of An Existing Bundle within a Pick List
An an example of how bundles can be used in pick lists is the "CHIEF COMPLAINS/REASON FOR VISIT" pick list. This pick list can be entered using the shortcut code "chix".
The pick list "chix" contains bundles. When a user clicks on the Chief Complains pick list, they are presented with a list of body systems to choose from and a "Most Common Chief Complaints" item. The "Most common Chief Complaints" items is a SMARText Bundle. When a bundle is selected, the SMARText Quick Access displays all of the items that are inside the bundle (as seen with the "Most Common Chief Complains Bundle" in the screenshot above).